Exercise balls are great for doing your abdominal exercises. Not only does the activity become more fun, but you actually work harder while using the exercise ball. When you do abdominal exercises with the ball, your body is working to stabilize itself and you get a greater range of motion for the best ab workout routine possible. The benefit of this is that your core stays engaged while you do your abdominal exercises. Not to mention, exercise balls are affordable and make abdominal exercises fun.
When choosing an exercise ball, you want to find your best fit. The ball for you will come up to about your knees and you should be able to sit comfortably on it with your feet planted on the ground. This is very important. You may hurt yourself or not get the best workout if you are using the wrong ball. You may also consider investing in a yoga or exercise mat. This will make your abdominal exercises more comfortable for you. Also, this is the best thing you can do for your back while doing your ab workout routine.
So now that you are on the ball, what are the best abdominal exercises you can do?
Crunch with Your Exercise Ball
The crunch may be one of the simplest abdominal exercises you can do, but adding the exercise ball makes it more effective. To do this crunch:
• Simply lie on the ball with the ball positioned against the small of your back.
• Cross your arms over your chest. By doing this instead of placing them behind your head forces your core to do the work instead of your neck and hands.
• Keep your feet firmly planted on the ground.
• Keep yourself stable and slowly sit up then lower yourself back into the starting position.
• Exhale while rising and inhale while lowering your body.
• Repeat this movement 10-15 times for 2-3 reps.
Exercise Ball Exchange
This is one of the slower abdominal exercises and it is important that you take your time with this one:
• Lie on your back with your hands extended over your head
• Use an exercise or yoga mat for comfort, with the exercise ball placed between your ankles.
• Slowly lift the exercise ball up above your torso and bring your arms to retrieve it lifting your shoulders off the ground.
• Now slowly lie back down.
• Now you should have the ball in your hands. Bring the ball back to your feet.
• Exhale while moving up and inhale while releasing down.
• During this exercise it is important to keep your arms and legs extended, make the exchange above your torso, and do this in a controlled movement.
• Pass the ball 10-15 times for 2-3 reps for your ab workout routine.
The Ab Roll
Here’s one more that will really engage your entire abdominal section from lower abs, to obliques, all the way to your upper abs:
• Kneel on the floor
• Use your exercise mat if you have one, and place your hands on the exercise ball in front of you.
• Bring your naval in toward your spine and slowly roll your arm forward onto the ball.
• Keep your body stable and roll the ball out as far as you can without hurting your back.
• Once extended roll your body back into the starting position.
• Repeat 10-15 times.
• For this move it is important not to strain your back.
Using the exercise ball during your ab workout routine will make the movements more comfortable, give you a greater range of motion, engage your core, and help you get six pack abs. Remember to use it properly, so you don’t strain your back. If you feel anything wrong, stop and consult your doctor.